Creative Director and Lead Graphic Designer
Appleton, WI 54914
Appleton company with 20+ employees is seeking a Direct Hire Creative Director & Lead Graphic Designer for their fast-paced environment. In this role, you will be the creative lead, working with the owner, other graphic designers, inside sales teams and outside sales teams to create a vision for products sold and to create high-end designs for customers. The Creative Director & Lead Graphic Designer will use their expertise and guidance to make sure creative team members work together like a well-oiled machine, consistently cranking out genius deliverables, meeting deadlines and landing coveted work from desirable clients.
This position is responsible for managing the graphic design team as well as other production employees and creating computer generated vinyl and/or full-color graphics output that can be weeded, cut and applied or printed and mounted to a substrate. This may involve a high level of artistic creativity and will ultimately lead to the complete or modified design from customer drawings, files, or exact output of customer-provided design for output to media.
Responsibilities for Creative Director & Lead Graphic Designer:
- Prioritize each day to efficiently and cost-effectively schedule the workflow of jobs needing graphic design.
- Supervise a team of 2-5 employees
- Invent new ideas for branding, advertising campaigns and marketing
- Understand design and smart copy, analyze trends, and recognize fresh approaches to advertising.
- Regularly meet with company directors and clients to explain campaign strategies and solutions.
- Oversee client pitches and proposals and oversee profitability, deliverables, and timelines
- Read and interpret a Work Order.
- Work with co-workers and customers with file transfers, FTP access, photo library options, online proofs, etc.
- Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, select style and size of type, and arrange layout based upon available space, aesthetic design, and production.
- Prepare comprehensive illustrations, sketches, layouts, and copy for print reproduction according to instructions of client or supervisor.
- Image Sourcing: locate photos, understand copyright laws and release/usage requirements, knowledge of resources to buy stock images, etc.
- Ensure proofs are provided on-time & maintain accurate electronic records
- Ensure the team is minimizing waste by efficiently using ink, media, laminates, foils and vinyl; maintain inventory of these items
- Communicate with other teams on job requirements, timing, and special needs
- Remain actively involved in hiring and training graphic design staff
Hours: First Shift Flexible hours, M-F! You can choose the hours of 7:30-3:30pm, 8:30-4:30pm or 9:00-5pm.
Salary for Creative Director & Lead Graphic Designer: $60,000-$70,000/year. Benefits offered are Vacation, Holidays, and Health Insurance. 401K offered after 1 year.
Other related job titles: Senior Graphic Designer, Design Director, Creative Lead, Senior Designer, Communication Designer, Brand Identity Developer, Illustrator, Visual Image Developer, Production Designer, Production Artist, Layout Artist
Qualifications for Creative Director & Lead Graphic Designer:
- 5 years of graphic design experience + some supervisory/management experience
- Illustrator design experience is required
- Ability to work under pressure to output high volume, high quality work.
- Innovation, creativity and desire to stay abreast of marketing trends.
- Ability to sit for long periods and view a computer screen for long periods. Also must be able to occasionally lift 50 or more pounds.
- Strong proofreading/accuracy are needed, as well as strong CS/client management skills.
- Experience in designing for architecture, vehicle wraps, wayfinding (directional signs) etc is helpful but not needed.